Winter Session 2024 Visiting Student Application Goes Live On September 25, 2023.
UMBC welcomes students from other colleges/universities who want to earn transferable credits during the winter. You must be in good academic standing at your home institution and/or any previous colleges/universities you’ve attended.
Students from other University of Maryland System campuses must also apply for visiting student admission in summer or winter sessions (inter-institutional registration is not available in those terms).
Apply September 25 – December 20
You must first apply and be admitted to UMBC before you can enroll in winter session. Admission is valid only for the current winter term. Applications submitted after the deadline are considered to be Late Admission applications.
A $50 non-refundable application fee is required. Admission is for this specific session/year – you must reapply to enroll in future terms.
Application Fee Waiver
Visiting students who attended UMBC in a previous Summer or Winter Session are eligible to receive an application fee waiver. Contact Summer/Winter programs to request your waiver. Upon verification of attendance, a waiver code will be sent.
Before applying to UMBC, we encourage you to check with your home institution to verify that credits taken at UMBC will transfer back to your home institution. In addition to the course descriptions found in the schedule of classes, you can also review the syllabus archive from previous winter sessions for more detailed course information.
Be sure to review the important winter session dates and deadlines.
After you are admitted
- Create your myUMBC account (learn more about myUMBC).
- Register for your courses.
- All visiting students attempting to enroll in courses with prerequisites will initially be blocked from registering, even if you included a transcript with your application. To register for course with prerequisites, please submit a prerequisite override request.
- Check your UMBC email and Blackboard regularly for updates before and during the session.
- Review your student account and pay your bill by the due date.
- Request a virtual parking permit if you plan to drive to campus.
- Order your textbooks and sign up for UMBC’s emergency text alert service.
- Student ID cards are optional for visiting students.
- View final grades and order transcripts.
- Contact the Office of Summer, Winter and Special Programs for questions or assistance.